Breaking News

Sharpsburg home gutted by hearth Monday evening | Community News

SHARPSBURG — An accidental fireplace gutted an unoccupied household just south of Sharpsburg on Monday evening, hearth officers claimed.

The fire at 5029 Harpers Ferry Highway was described at 6:02 p.m. Monday, a Washington County 911 supervisor said.

The property experienced been below renovation, fireplace officers stated.

The property proprietor arrived to check on polyeurothane that experienced been used to the flooring and seen the home windows ended up black as he approached the household, Senior Deputy Point out Fireplace Marshal Oliver Alkire claimed Tuesday.

When the home owner opened the doorway, he was promptly satisfied with smoke and observed a fireplace within so he closed the door and called 911, Alkire explained.

The hearth, which started out in the kitchen, was triggered by an electrical failure of a wire leading to a vacuum cleaner, Alkire stated.

The within of the just one-tale dwelling with wood siding was wrecked, Sharpsburg Fireplace Main Matt Stevens said.

Alkire reported about $4,000 of the estimated $20,000 in hurt was from the hearth. The remainder was thanks to firefighter overhaul as firefighters extinguished the primary hearth and searched for hot spots.

About 50 firefighters from Sharpsburg, Fairplay, Boonsboro, Potomac Valley and Shepherdstown, W.Va., responded to the property fire, Stevens claimed.

Firefighters had the most important fire out in 10 minutes and have been then searching for hot spots, Alkire claimed.